Skip to Main Content
For Businesses & Organizations
For EM Professionals
Reports and Plans
Types of Emergencies
Disaster Supply Kit
Four Steps to Safety
Maps and Tools
Are you in a Flood Prone Area?
Flood Insurance Information
MEMA Mentorship Experience
The Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) Emergency Management Mentorship Experience
(EMME) program offers students the opportunity to gain experience in the areas of disaster mitigation,
preparedness, prevention, protection, response, resilience, and recovery. The EMME Program is designed to be flexible to the students’ interests, academic requirements, and the needs of MEMA.
Description of Opportunities
The mentored students will have the opportunity to design an
program to fit their interests, the requirements of the academic institution, and the needs of the statewide emergency management program.
- With the guidance of the MEMA hosts, students may work in one of the branches of the Maryland Emergency Management Agency.
- Options depend on the needs, interests, requirements, skills and abilities of the student, the academic institution, and the agencies of the Maryland emergency management program. All possible effort will be made to ensure a productive and engaging environment to enhance the growth and understanding of the student in the field of emergency management. Opportunities in Public Administration assignments such as grants management and
personnel are also sometimes available.
- There are several training classes (free and available online) that the student will be required to complete. The student does not have to complete the classes on-site, but may count the hours as part of the overall “contract hours” for the mentorship.
- In addition, a weekly journal, time sheets, and a final presentation to MEMA staff are requested from each student.
The mentored student will complete the following self-study classes available online:
IS-1 Emergency Manager: An Orientation to the Position
IS-100 Introduction to the Incident Command System
IS-200 Basic Incident Command System for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents
IS-230 Fundamentals of Emergency Management
IS-700 NIMS, An Introduction
IS-800 National Response Framework, An Introduction
IS-235 Emergency Planning
Who may apply:
Students enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program
When to apply:
Students may apply at any point during the year; however limited opportunities are available, so early application is encouraged
EMME participants will be appointed after completing a competitive interview
How to apply:
Students should send a completed application packet to:
Maryland Emergency Management Agency
5401 Rue Saint Lo Drive
Reisterstown, MD 21136
Attn: Josephina Fogell
or by email to
Application packets consist of the following items:
EMME Program Application
- Cover letter and resume
- Two academic/professional letters of recommendation
- At least one writing/work sample (of between 200-500 words)
Also highly recommended to be included is an unofficial transcript.
Contact the EMME program coordinator, Josephina Fogell at:
5401 Rue Saint Lo Drive, Reisterstown, MD 21136
Toll Free: 1-877-MEMA-USA (1-877-636-2872)